The Michel Cluizel chocolate company got its start in 1947 in the town of Damville in Normandy, France when Michel’s parents, Marcelle and March Cluizel, began producing chocolates in the small pastry business they operated out of their home. In 1948, Michel joined the business as an apprentice. In 1971, the family business was moved out of their home to a shop nearby. After the death of Michel’s father in 1984, his two sons, Pierre and Marc, joined the family business.
By 1987, the company’s first shop was opened in Paris and named La Fontaine au Chocolat. The chocolate shop is still in business today and is a popular stop for tourists who are seeking fine quality French chocolates. Michel’s daughter, Catherine Cluizel, manages the shop. The shop was renamed La Boutique Michel Cluizel to avoid any confusion that the boutique is actually owned by Michel Cluizel. In 2004, a subsidiary was opened in the U.S. The company has quit selling chocolates through the U.S site however. Today, the company employs approximately 200 employees. The business is owned and operated by Michel’s family. Sylvi Cluizel serves as accounts director, Catherine Cluizel manages the shop in Paris, Pierre serves as commercial manager, while Marc is the factory’s technical manager.
No products found in this collection.